ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Friday, January 25, 2013

Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts

 One of the several important and exciting cookbooks I got for Christmas was Barefoot Contessa Foolproof.  As you might guess, Ina and her team have put together a gorgeously laid out, impeccably photographed collection of edibles that I can only look forward to delving among.  Although I can hardly stand to watch her show, with her massive estate, sprawling herb garden, nonstop collection of stylish friends and charming shops, and not to mention her stickly sweet adoration for husband Jeffrey, I will gladly give Ina Garten this: her food rocks. 

As do her "10 foolproof tips for cooking", on page 21.  In fact, most of her tips were already my tips, learned the hard way of course.  Like #9 Don't walk away from something simmering on the stove.  While you're not looking, liquids can boil over or evaporate and ruin a perfectly good dish.  Don't I know it.  Or #1 Read the entire recipe before you start cooking.  You don't want to discover the beans need to soak overnight when guests are due to arrive in an hour.  Do people really still soak beans?  Anyway. 

Luckily, what we have here is a straightforward (dare I say foolproof?) baked doughnut recipe, that requires neither stove simmering nor bean soaking.  You don't even really have to read it ahead...though don't tell Ina I said so!
Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts (print recipe)
Makes 18 doughnuts

Doughnuts:
Baking spray with flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten (seriously Ina?  I used a large egg)
1 1/4 cups whole milk
2 T unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Topping:
8 T unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 2 doughnut pans well.

2.  Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla.  Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. 

3.  You can spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each a little more than three-quarters full, but I find it much easier to pipe it into the doughnut wells, using either a piping bag or a gallon Ziploc with the corner snipped off.  Better batter control.  Bake for 17 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan.

4.  For the topping, melt the 8 tablespoons of butter in an 8-inch saute pan or in a wide mouth bowl in the microwave.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Dip each doughnut first in the butter and then in the cinnamon sugar, either on one side or both sides.

Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof

1 year ago:  Frozen Pistachio Pie
2 years ago:  Chocolate Swirl Babka Bread
3 years ago:  Rainbow Cake

1 comment:

Heather M. said...

OOOO!!! I got this cookbook for my birthday and I think i'll have to make those donuts. But I have no donut pan. Hmmm....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...