ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Red Velvet Scones

 This.  This is what I would have made if I had gotten "red" for Dessert Club.  I'm not bitter.  I ordered a bottle of Red Velvet Cake Flavor from King Arthur Flour to be part of the "Colors" Dessert Club prize.  But when it arrived, I changed my mind and kept it for myself.  And used it to make these scones.  And I am not sorry one bit.

I think I patted them a bit too short.  But otherwise, delicious.  Winners.  One more recipe to give scones a good name. 

And that flavor!  It lends both the gorgeous red color (so you don't have to use all your food coloring) and a je ne sais quois flavor - chocolate with a subtle fruity hint?

Red Velvet Scones (print recipe)
Makes 12 to 14

Scones

3/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1 tablespoon red velvet cake flavor
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
sparkling white sugar, for decorating

Filling
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (2 ounces) confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 

1 cup heavy or whipping cream 
1/2 pint fresh raspberries, for serving 
 
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.

2. To make the scones: Combine the cream, egg, and flavor. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

4. Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.

5. Add the cream mixture, stirring just until the dough comes together.

6. On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a 1"-thick circle.

7. Cut scones into 2 1/8" rounds, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.

8. Bake the scones for 15 to 17 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and transfer to a rack to cool.

9. To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.

10. Add the cream, and whip until soft peaks form.

11. For each serving, split a scone in half; dollop on filling; add berries, and top with the other half of the scone.


Recipe from King Arthur Flour

1 year ago:  Coconut-Lime Berry Cake
2 years ago:  Perfection Pound Cake
3 years ago:  Fudge Ecstasies

1 comment:

Arlene Delloro said...

I'm not usually keen on red velvet,but these look like they could turn my head, for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...