ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dessert Club: Colors!

Photo courtesy of Be Different Act Normal
 Dessert Club has become too fun.  Too delicious.  Too easy.  So we've decided to start challenging ourselves...sometimes.  For this month's festivities, we each drew the name of a color out of a bag, and had to do our best to represent that color with a dessert.  For the most part, we were not disappointed.  Except me, who drew blue, and wished I'd thought it through a little more carefully before putting the colors in the bag.  You know there's no naturally-occurring blue food, right?  But my blue experiments will come in another post.  Let's stick to the rainbow.
Red Velvet Cheesecake

Frozen Strawberry Soufflé

Orange could not make it...
Yellow made Daffodil Cake, cover below, and when she tested it, it came out perfectly.  Unfortunately DC was on a very humid day, and you know how meringue can be, so it didn't quite make it that night.

Avocado-Key Lime Mousse in Brandy-Snap Baskets

Lavender-Blueberry Doughnuts (mine)

 Blueberry-Lemon "Brownie" 
with White Chocolate Blueberry Glaze

Coconut Cake with Lime Curd Filling

Strawberry-Pina Colada Wontons 
with Vanilla Bean-Key Lime Dip

Root Beer Float Cakes

Blackout Pudding

Here's what my dish looked like.  Poor me.  Poor all of us.
 
 As usual, it was tough to decide what to vote for.  My favorites were the strawberry soufflé, dessert wontons, and the blackout pudding.  What would you most like to taste?  The soufflés won it, with a three-way tie for second place, there was so much sweet goodness in the spread that night.

She won candied orange peel, blue cornmeal, mylar cake doilies, and a rainbow decorating sugar set.
 Here was someone's take-home box before putting the lid on.  "Colors" night was glorious.
In June, we do the theme, "Frozen" again.  I've got a stack of recipes inches thick.  So, so hard to choose!!!

2 comments:

Marna said...

I'd like to hear more about those wontons!

K Cummings said...

And I had the most awesome recipe too! weep weep.
Stupid work.
I am still going to bring you that grapefruit glazed pound cake. Someday...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...