ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Monday, December 19, 2011

Steamy Sip #1: Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix

About five years ago, I tried to make hot cocoa mix as my give-away to friends and neighbors.  Unfortunately I made it up as I went along, and the result was rather unpalatable.  Which I discovered after I'd given it away.  So sorry to all those people I gave it to, if you're reading.  
Two lessons came out of that experience you only have to learn once:  1) start with some kind of recipe, and 2) taste before you give.  

This time I found a great recipe, and I give it to you here, unaltered.  We made it, we had some test cups, and it is creamy, flavorful and fabulous.  It helps that there is creamer, not just powdered milk, in the mix, and you make it with real milk, not just water.  The French vanilla mentioned here is awesome, but you could of course make this with any flavor creamer that suits you - I made a second batch with hazelnut, hello!  

 Hot Cocoa Mix (print recipe)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup French vanilla coffee creamer (or any flavor you like)
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk

Whisk or sift together the ingredients and package in jars or bags; decorate however you like.  Makes 5 cups of mix (about 26 servings)

Instructions for making the cocoa:
Stir together 3 T cocoa mix and 1 T water in a mug.  Stir in 1 cup skim milk.  Microwave on HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until hot. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...