ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Steamy Sip #7: Warm Grapefruit Cider

First of all, Happy Christmas.  That said, I know no one is probably checking blogs today.  That's as it should be.

But I hope that doesn't mean this amazing Steamy Sip will be ignored.

I realize this week I'm using terms like "tea", "cappuccino", and now "cider" very loosely.  I didn't look them up to ensure proper usage.  There just aren't that many terms for warm beverages so I'm just calling them what I want.  In this case, "warm juice" neither sounds right nor does this unique spicy nectar justice.
When she saw I was doing Steamy Sips week, my friend Marna sent me this recipe.  Here is what she said:
I love this time of year for many reasons.  All the yummy citrus is one of the great things.  I love grapefruit, but not all of my family does, and I am not one who can eat grapefruit for breakfast day after day.  I bought a big bag of Texas grapefruits, because the price was good.  I have been wondering how to use them all before they spoil.  This warm "tea" was just the answer I was looking for.
 Warm Grapefruit Cider (print recipe)
2 cups fresh ruby red grapefruit juice (about 4 medium)
2 to 4 T honey (raw, if you have it)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp allspice berries

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients with 1/2 cup water.  Bring to a boil over high heat; strain and discard solids.  Serve with a grapefruit segment or a strip of zest. 

Recipe from the Martha Stewart Show, Jan 2008 via my friend Marna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...