ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Steamy Sip #3: Almond Capuccino

Hello, this Steamy Sip is sooo amazing.  If you're a regular milk drinker like me, maybe you've never had thought or reason to try almond milk.  This is a good one.

Shall I give you my version or Brian's first?  Brian is super-gourmet-foodie husband of my friend Juli (the one I went to New York with), and he's the one that first made this for me.  It was UH-mazing, so I asked him for the recipe.  But I should have known.  I should have known it would involve no less than two gadgets  and at least two ingredients I didn't have.  Even so.  I made myself a simpler, "grocery store," version, and it was still warm, flavorful, comforting and delicious.  Worthy of Steamy Sips Week.  So I'll give you that one first. 

Almond Capuccino (print recipe)
2 cups original or vanilla almond milk
2/3 cup cream
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Whipped cream & cinnamon sugar, for garnish

Warm the almond milk, cream and cinnamon in a saucepan until very warm and steamy.  If you have an immersion blender, use it to combine well.  Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar.  Allow the cream to melt a bit and stir it into the drink.  Serve hot.  Makes 2 servings.

You could even make your own whipped cream, with a little almond extract or almond syrup to enhance the flavor.

That said, Brian says the entire secret to this recipe is in the whipped cream.  Which he makes himself in a fancy whipper thing like this.  So if you happen to have one, here's what you do.  Eight ounces heavy cream, 2 ounces amaretto, 1 ounce Torani toasted marshmallow syrup.  I know.  He says the syrup and amaretto change the cream to make it denser and more foamy, and he serves this in small cups half full of the milk, with the whipped cream filling the cup the rest of the way.  Like I said, so amazing.  (Brian took the top photo.)

So.  If you really like my blog, or are my friend in any way, you will get me one of these whippers for Christmas.  Or my birthday is February 2.  I can wait.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...