ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Friday, December 30, 2011

BONUS Steamy Sip #8: Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

I just couldn't leave out this Steamy Sip.  It took me four stores to track down dulce de leche, then Christmas happened, but once I finally made this, Ed and I let out audible "aaaah"'s and I HAD to post it. 

As you know, salted caramel is all the rage now.  Salt brings out the flavor and balances the over-sweetness of caramel.  Sometimes, though, salt seems to be just in the name.  Not in this Steamy Sip.  The salt-to-other-stuff ratio is PERFECT.  You can taste it, but it's just right.  And lots of caramel and chocolate make it the perfect indulgent sip. 
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate (print recipe)
4 T dulce de leche
1 1/4 cups milk
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp coarse salt
Whipped cream, toffee bits and mini chocolate chips, for garnish

In a small pot over medium heat, warm the dulce de leche.  Whisk in the milk, cocoa powder, and salt until smooth.  Heat until warmed and serve immediately, topped with whipped cream.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...