ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Coconut Key Lime Pie

I don't feel like I really need to say much about this pie. You can see for yourself its glory, the low-endedness of my camera notwithstanding. Except that it has pushed me over the edge to create a "lime/coconut" tag because it is a beloved and honored combination on this blog that brings delight and refreshing euphoria to at least this author. So instead of writing more unnecessary commentary, I'm going to use my time to go and back-tag all the other lime & coconut treasures VGP has to offer. Then I might go research some more to make in the future... Enjoy!

Coconut-Key Lime Pie (print recipe)
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup fresh or bottled Key lime juice
7 large egg yolks
1 graham pie crust (recipe follows)
2 cups cold heavy cream
2 T confectioners' sugar
3 T sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

1. Preheat oven to 325. In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed milk, coconut milk, lime juice, and egg yolks until smooth. Pour into crust and bake until set but still slightly wobbly in center, 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then refrigerate 3 hours (or up to 1 day.)

2. In a large bowl using electric mixer, beat cream and sugar on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. To serve, top pie with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.Easy Press-in Pie Crust
6 ounces cookies (about 12 graham crackers, 46 vanilla wafers or 30 chocolate wafers)
3 T sugar
1/4 tsp coarse salt
5 T unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a food processor, pulse cookies until finely ground (about 1 1/2 cups). Add sugar, salt and butter and pulse until combined.

2. Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is dry and set, about 12 minutes. Let cool completely in plate on a wire rack before filling.

Recipe from Everyday Food

2 comments:

Shells said...

Wow, this is the perfect dessert for me, and I can even eat it now - pregnancy aversions and all. Yummy.

Ashley McNair said...

I cannot wait to make (and eat) this!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...